Monday, June 8, 2009

FOREVER CHANGED by Alex Jackson


     There are few places in the world where one can directly see the changing power of our Lord. Made In the Streets is one of those places, it has forever changed my life as it has forever changed the lives of its students. The street children of Nairobi are perhaps the most lost souls I have ever encountered. Their countenance is one of despair and their stories full of injustice. The first time I visited MITS during the summer of 2006, I left with a bitter taste in my mouth. How could God put his children through such an upbringing? If he loves all his little children how can he introduce them to drugs at such a young age and how can he let them starve in these cold, dirty slums?

    Upon my second visit to MITS (summer of 2009) my eyes were opened and my opinions changed. I witnessed the grace and mercy of God first hand. I still don't know why God puts children through street life but I do know now that there stories are not full of despair but rather hope. Seeing children in Kamulu whom I first met on the streets showed me how much God loves these little children and how much the power of our Lord can change their lives. Kamulu lets children robbed of their childhood be children again. The smiling faces, laughter, jokes and games has shown me that the Lord has a purpose for every one of them and, through their experience in the slums, is preparing them for amazing lives of service. These kids are the light of the Lord and I am forever changed by my time with them.

    Perhaps no story is as powerful as Titus Kioko's. When I met Titus in 2006 he was skinny, high, disrespectful, angry and mischevious. One afternoon we decided to buy some sandals for the street kids at one of our relief camps as none of them had shoes, we couldn't imagine climbing through the trash piles and walking among broken glass barefoot. We were handing out sandals through the gate at the Eastleigh center, but when Titus stepped up to get his sandals, we ran out. Titus looked at me with furious eyes and spit in my face. I was livid, and while we bought him a pair of sandals, I wanted nothing to do with him. However, Titus has a personality that draws you in, and I couldn't resist forming a friendship with him. When I left Nairobi, I prayed that God would work in Titus' life and he most certainly did.

    My trip this summer was full of hills and valleys as my health really hindered my ability to serve. When I got out of the Aga Kahn Hospital, the first thing I wanted to do was see the kids. I was sitting in a chair in the Learning Center and I heard someone say, "man Alex, you're alot weaker than the last time I saw you." I turned around and saw Titus just laughing histerically. It was such a joy to see him taller, well dressed and in good spirits. He then said, "I have been praying for> you ever since I heard you were ill." It stopped me dead in my tracks, Titus Kioko is praying for me? This last sunday Titus served communion, led a prayer, and sang with the praise team, I am so proud of who he has become. The Titus I spent time with in Kamulu is a true servant of the Lord and his story will be a blessing to anyone who hears it, he resembles the Titus I met in the streets only in appearance and humor. If God can change Titus he can change anyone. Saying goodbye was hard, but I am so excited to hear where the Lord takes him, I have no doubt that Titus will do great things with his life.

    Titus' story is just one of the hundreds of stories of reformation among Made in the Streets students. The world could use more programs like MITS.

2 comments:

Hawkeye fan said...

Alex, we have never met but I know the feelings you have experienced bases on our own trips to mits. We go to help mits out but in the end I came away the the better man with a renewed purpose to serve the Lord.

michelle said...

I would like to second Hawkeye's comment. Thanks, Alex for putting so eloquently into words what I, too, feel. Being with the MITS' kids not only shows me God's grace, love, and power, it helps me accept, though I don't understand or like, the diificult situations in this world that are so wrong. The MITS' staff also are a reminder to me to keep at it. Bless you Alex, and all who have been to MITS. Aren't we blessed to have shared in such an amazing place? May God continue to bless and prosper this place, and may we remain faithful to pray for this ministry.