Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Street Memories

Hi and happy new year! Just want to say thanks to all of you. You have given street kids and former street kids a wonderful holiday time. As you read all the things they've done, it seems "over the top" -- how appropriate for the poor. Here are some quotes from a couple of the kids about Christmas before Made In The Streets.

from Moses Mwangi: I was about five years old when I ran away. Sleeping on the streets was cold and scary but still better than staying with my uncle. On Christmas day, I saw a family that looked "well off"; I decided to visit them to get to eat a Christmas feast with them. But when I walked into the compound, the woman shouted at me, "Who invited you?" I tried to show her I was just a beggar, but she chased me away. On Christmas day, I starved. Everywhere I went, people chased me away."






from Mary Waithera: I lived upcountry with my shosho before life became hard. She was poor, like for tea, she would put just four spoonfuls of sugar in a big pot of tea without milk. We only took tea with milk
during Christmas season when relatives came for the holiday. I tried to behave well whenever we had a special meal, like rice and chapati (like tortillas) or spaghetti. I was not a glutton, but I ate a lot at those times. In fact, I only had spaghetti once in my life; it was a special meal for the relatives. But my cousin was afraid we had cooked worms and he would only eat the soup, made from potatoes and arrowroots. I especially liked fruit, because it was so rare to have it.

Thanks to all of you, the kids had lots of special food, and a lot of it! And our students all got stockings full of fruit, nuts, and candies. And they had fun trips! The boys got to see Western Kenya, thanks!

1 comment:

Hawkeye fan said...

I am glad the students had a nice Christmas. I hope 2010 is a great year for mits. The Lord willing, I am looking forward to seeing everyone later in the year