Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Of Sadness and Joy

There is sadness in my heart today.  We received word that Berkeley Hackett has ended his sojourn on this world.  Please go to my personal blog for what I have written about our history together.  One of the special things is that it was Berkeley who invited us to move to Nairobi!  And that is joy!  It is hard to imagine a life in which I didn't meet street kids, and find my heart's desire.

Another joy is that Jane Njeri, a girl who has been at MITS for about two years, was baptized Sunday.  And after it was over, one of our newest girls, Nelly Nyawira, came to tell me she wants to be baptized, but she wants to study first.  Lucy "B" Wairimu (she calls herself "B" because we have another Lucy Wairimu) heard Nelly talking to me and she came up to say she wants to study too.  So they will both study with Darlene this week and also with two of our interns who are here (Chris and Aubrey).

When I mentioned the girls to Jackton Omondi, he said there were some of the boys who recently said to him that they are about ready to be baptized.  So...we may have a cascade of baptisms.  It sometimes happens like that with teens - a large group in a short time.  Here's a picture Darlene took today of Lucy and Nelly.  You can't believe how sweet they are!!!

No comments: