Thursday, July 24, 2008

Life's Little Joy Moments

I haven't seen it, but I'm sure someone has written a book about "life's little joys". What I like is those little moments that come just because of what you are doing. Moments that are part of life itself, not only thoughts you have. I had one of those moments tonight. Anastacia is one of the girls we found at Grogan's Base in downtown Nairobi. There were several girls hanging around there, begging from passersby, getting and giving favors with boys, one of them with a mother and 3 more with an aunt who also lived on the streets and sold illegal liquor. She has been one of our smarter kids, and with Katera Bolander's influence, she has gotten fascinated with journalism. She interviewed a ranger when we went camping. She interviewed Red Cross workers at one of the internal displacement camps near Nairobi. And she has interviewed other students and teachers here and helped edit a newspaper for us.

Recently I set her up as a blogger (www.tashanjoki.blogspot.com/) so she could write every week and have her writing in public where she would be encouraged to improve and think about many things to write. And tonight I helped her write her first email. One of those moments to remember, to think of how far she has come. From the streets to the internet. And she felt great joy and a sense of accomplishment. Then we looked at her blog together and the comments she has received from readers in Texas.

Do something with a young person. You can live for a while on little moments like that.

peace and joy, charles

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Charles and Darlene,
I love getting to read the blog that you have set up. I met you very briefly when you were in College Station in the Spring. My name is Ashlee Green and I was in the Aggie group that was at MITS during Christmas time. I just sat here looking at your articles and pictures and could not quit smiling as tears ran down my cheeks looking at the pictures of the precious kids at the farm. I looked at Anastacia's newspaper article and tried to go to her blog, but for some reason I could not get to it. Please pass on to her that her writing is wonderful and that I know she will make a great journalist!
I am praying for the kids and all of you at MITS. You will never know how much I admire the work you do over there...I can see God glorified in so many ways. I pray that I will be able to return there again someday. Tell everyone that the Aggies miss them and love them!

In Him,
Ashlee Green

Darren Wilson said...

Ashlee,

I added the link to Anastacia's blog in the body of the original post. It is http://www.tashanjoki.blogspot.com/ and I am sure she'd like you to read some of her most recent writing and leave a comment or two. Thanks.