Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The 20 Acre Saga

"God is not finished with me yet."  Quite a number of people have used this quote to describe their lives.  Sometimes it is a joyful statement and sometimes resignation to difficulties.  But it is always an expression of faith.  

And so we believe -- that He who raised Jesus from the dead is the Holder of both power and goodness and does not fail those who trust in him.  

We are continuing to pursue a just settlement to the land issue.  The people who invaded have built a structure and opened it for use.  We have now written letters to all the relevant ministries in the government, and we are seeking an order for eviction.  We are also ready to re-fence the property, and the police have stated that they would protect our right to fence our property if we will leave out the part where the building sits until the case is settled.  

We have no doubt that God loves the street children and wills their good.  We also know that we have a great Team working on the kids' behalf.  So we are not afraid of what will happen.  It just takes a long time to accomplish.  We should remember how long it often takes when a person has done what is wrong and fallen into bad habits.  It may take years to get out of the problem.  So it is with land issues when someone has done wrong; getting them out and getting everything under control takes a while.  

And this is a very small issue in the eyes of everyone. It involves about an acre of land.  Great areas of land are under dispute in Kenya, where many people do not have land but desire it very much.  And those who have land often want as much more as they can get.  This will be a problem for the society for a long time to come, since the population continues to grow.  Our problem is small beside that of many others. 

So let us not feel bad about what we struggle over and might lose in the end.  Let us rejoice in what we have and in what we can do.  And let us remember that the end result does not lie in the land and power and cash, but in the Spirit, and in such matters as goodness and faith and love.

peace to you, charles

2 comments:

Hawkeye fan said...

Amen, brother.

Darren Wilson said...

Charles,

I read this post on my iphone this morning while I was still in bed. I have considered your words all day long, and wanted to reply back with my thoughts tonight before I get back to bed. Here's what I hope:

1. I hope that I am able to see the areas in my life where God has blessed me with 19 acres when I think I am owed 20. I always want to be thankful for what I have and not to sweat the things I don't.

2. I hope I can rejoice more in the smaller things in life and not be side tracked by the big picture. Too many times in my life, I get distracted trying to see the big picture and miss out on the smaller (but greater) details. I miss the trees trying to see the forest.

3. I hope to live a life that relies more on the abundant grace of God than on my own understanding and effort. Good is good all the time and knows best what I need. He provides all that I need.

I also pray that God will continue to bless the good work going on in Nairobi, Eastleigh and Kamulu. He has called you, Darlene, John, Francis, Ben, Moses, Phillipo, Joel, Irene, Jackton, Anthony and the rest of the team to be His hands, His feet and His voice in a world that needs to see His glory. Reading your blog posts reminds me of that and humbles us all of the amazing work that you are doing.

Just think of the unbelievable difference that those 19 acres in Kamaulu will make in the lives of the street kids.

God has a purpose for the other acre.