Saturday, July 18, 2009

CAMP MTUME

hi from Darlene.  We just had a wonderful ending to the camp put on by South MacArthur Church in Irving Texas.  We had a bonfire under the equatorial stars, and God was present.  After the singing and prayer, students shared what they had gained from the camp.  This brought back memories of other camps we've shared in California; what I know is that at church camp, there are ALWAYS teenagers who make life decisions.  Here too.  

For instance, Ken Wabungu talked about what he learned from Ben Copeland; because of it, he had made a commitment to always apologize when he had "bullied" someone.  He talked about "wanting to apologize" when he knew he had been too over-bearing, but was stopped by considering what they'd think if he did.  Now, he will, for Jesus.

Also, Mercy Wanja talked about prayer.  She said she always prayed short prayers like "thank you", but this week, in the camp "quiet time", she said "I really prayed!  I talked to God.  I can't say enough about what this means to me."

And Titus Kioko had that morning asked Jackton to pray for him -- he is depressed with memories of his mom who died long ago.  Everyone gathered to pray for and with him and continued encouraging him during the day.  As he was reading his Bible today, the memories came and he felt a pulling to stop reading; he responded as Charles had suggested and said in his heart, "No, I want to read my Bible."  And he said, "My mind cleared and I could read. I'm thankful for everyone here, for loving and praying for me."

To all who wonder,  "are visitors really helpful?"  YES.  God uses all of us to serve his children.  Thanks to all of you who help in so many ways, just wish you could have been here at the bonfire.  Please know that we are all a part of what happens to these kids.      

1 comment:

Hawkeye fan said...

Darlene, thank you for sharing and allowing the rest of us a little glimpse as to what is happeening in the lives of the children.