Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day Two at Camp Mtume

Morning of day two at Camp Mtume came early, but I was excited to see the children again and get the opportunity to teach the children about the twelve apostles. Yesterday (see yesterday's blog by Stephanie), I went into Eastleigh and saw the terrible poverty that the street kids live in every day. That experience broke my heart and gave me a new appreciation for how far the kids living at MITS have come-- and the huge changes that they have made in their lives.

We broke up the kids into eight groups and each group has a camp counselor. My group is the blue team. We have different colored bandanas to denote people in a group. This morning, after giving each child a new bible with their name engraved on it,we learned about the apostle James, son of Zebedee, and his brother the apostle John. How they both had changed so much from the point when Jesus called them to be diciples to greater maturity in Christ. The children in my group talked about how James and John were excellent examples for being a good disciple, and related stories about their past on the streets and the differences in their lives now that they are at MITS. They are so thankful for what they now have. The kids related their individual stories of how Jackton and Francis and others came to the streets and told them the good news about Jesus Christ. I was humbled to hear these stories and greatful that I could help teach them in my own small way. However, I think I'm learning much more from them then they are learning from me. This is such an eye opening experience for me and is helping me in my own struggle to walk with Christ by turning everything over the Him.

What a blessing from God this experience is for me! I pray that He will turn me into a better servant for these wonderful kids.

(written by Benjamin Copeland - visiting from South MacArthur Church of Christ)

2 comments:

Christy said...

I came across this blog through Angela. I used to work with her at IISD.

I had to check it out because my college roommate went with a group of Aggies to Made in the Streets years ago. Then, imagine my surprise when I see many of you are from South Mac. I grew up at New York Ave. church of Christ in Arlington and have been to Tanzania 5 times with them. I am so excited to follow along in your journey and dream of the day that I can return to Tanzania.

Your team is in my thoughts and prayers as well as the children of MITS.

michelle said...

Yes! Thanks so much for the frequent postings. Following your trip blesses me too! I am sure, like CHristy, there are many of us who long to experience again the "flesh and blood" blessing of being with the brothers and sisters there. Praying for you as you share and teach and enjoy the sweet fellowship.